OUR HISTORY

The Gear Shop is nothing less than an American success story!

OUR HISTORY

The Gear Shop is nothing less than an American success story! Our founder, Frank Rose, started junking cars in the 1930’s. By the end of World War II he had created a nice business for himself but saw an opportunity for more. Frank had customers coming to him wanting to buy good used transmissions. The problem was he didn’t have enough transmissions from the junk cars he was parting out to keep up with demand. So he found another source to keep up with demand.
He started rebuilding the customer’s original, damaged transmissions.

After a few years he could hardly keep up with the amount of transmissions and transfer cases people were bringing to him to rebuild so away went the scraping business and in 1945 Frank Rose Transmissions was born. Frank worked alone for many years in a 30′ x 60′ garage next to his house until in the early 1970’s his son, Will Rose decided he wanted to learn to rebuild transmissions & transfer cases also.

Company Founder, Frank Rose

Company Founder, Frank Rose

Original 30′ x 60′ Shop

Original 30′ x 60′ Shop

Will caught on quickly and was soon taking on jobs that Frank wanted nothing to do with. Will taught himself about the new front wheel drive manual transaxles that were starting to become popular in the late 70’s and early 80’s. Business boomed and the wholesale side of the business, servicing transmission repair shops & general auto repair shops, was soon making up the majority of the shops business.

Frank retired in the mid 80’s, just about the time his grandson, Will Jr., was starting to hang around the shop. The 80’s and 90’s saw more growth for the business as Will Jr began to take on a more active role in the company.

Throughout all the change one thing remained constant, the desire to create the best remanufactured transfer case & manual transmission possible. The company changed its name from Rose’s Transmissions to The Gear Shop, Inc in 2009 to more clearly reflect the company’s product offering moving forward into the 21st century. About this time Will Sr. decided to take less of an active role in the company and the day to day operations were left entirely up to Will Jr.

Today the company continues to grow and excel in proudly remanufacturing our BULLDOG TOUGH replacement units.  We do things the old fashioned way. We work hard and put 110% into every unit we build. Our people are what make us great and we can’t wait to see where this American success story is headed next. BUILT BULLDOG TOUGH in the USA, since 1945!!

Will Rose Sr.

Will Rose Sr.

Gear Shop Logo

OUR HISTORY

The Gear Shop is nothing less than an American success story! Our founder, Frank Rose, started junking cars for scrap money in the 1930’s. By the end of World War II he had created a nice business for himself but he saw an opportunity for more. Frank had customers coming to him constantly wanting to buy good used transmissions. The problem was he didn’t have enough transmissions from the junk cars he was parting out to keep up with demand. So he did want any good entrepreneur would do, he found another source to keep up with demand. That new source was rebuilding the customer’s original, damaged transmission.

Company Founder, Frank Rose

Company Founder, Frank Rose

After a few years he could hardly keep up with the amount of transmissions and transfer cases people were bringing to him to rebuild so away went the scraping business and in 1945 Frank Rose Transmissions was born. Frank worked alone for many years in a 30′ x 60′ garage next to his house until the 1970’s came around and his son, Will Rose decided he wanted to rebuild transmissions & transfer cases also.

Will caught on quickly and was soon taking on jobs that Frank wanted nothing to do with. Will taught himself about the new front wheel drive manual transaxles that were starting to become popular in the late 70’s and early 80’s. Business boomed and the wholesale side of the business, servicing other transmission repair shops & general auto repair shops, was soon making up the majority of the shop’s business.

Original 30' x 60' Shop

Original 30′ x 60′ Shop

Frank retired in the mid 80’s, just about the time his grandson, Will Jr., was starting to hang around the shop. The 80’s and 90’s saw more growth for the business as Will Jr began to take on a more active role in the company.

Will Rose Sr.

Will Rose Sr.

Throughout all the change one thing remained constant, the desire to create the best remanufactured transfer case & manual transmission possible. The company changed its name from Rose’s Transmissions to The Gear Shop, Inc in 2009 to more clearly reflect the company’s product offering moving forward into the 21st century. About this time Will Sr. decided to take less of an active role in the company and the day to day operations were left entirely up to Will Jr.

Today the company continues to grow and excel in proudly remanufacturing our BULLDOG TOUGH replacement units.  We do things the old fashioned way. We work hard and put 110% into every unit we build. Our people are what make us great and we can’t wait to see where this American success story is headed next. BUILT BULLDOG TOUGH in the USA, since 1945!!

Gear Shop Logo

Address & Phone: 1107 Middle River Rd. #19 • Baltimore, MD 21220 • 410-477-GEAR
Hours: M - F : 9am–5pm • Sat & Sun: Closed